Friday, December 29, 2006

The silence on the other side of the gate – soldiers on one side trying to break it down – soldiers on the other side waiting patiently for the inevitable ---the fight till the end ---the heroism of it all --- but also the folly that it is -- man against man – cities burning – whole civilizations razed to the ground – yes I am living in such an age --- today it is my city – the place I have come to call home --- I wait on the other side --- THONG --THONG –THONG –THONG – the gate will not hold for long –“untilllll ….deaaaathh”---yes I say --- yes –it would seem a drug has coursed through my veins—for pain I feel not – fearless I have become – my wounds I cannot see—I raise my sword and let out a cry -- till death it will be ---and at last the gate gives way – and in comes a horde –out to destroy everything in sight --- fight we do –like never before – one .two .. three……nine ………..fifteen …..i lose count of how many souls I have sent to the heavens – the gods --- will they forgive me –they would I know –it is honour I fight for --- mine , ..my fathers ,…my lands --- I fight for good itself --- but who decides good , bad – wasn’t the last man I killed fighting for the same things as I –didn’t I see in his eyes –till my sword struck – the same honour and righteousness as shines in my eyes this very moment --- I cannot think – so I lift my sword once again and plunge into the horde --- steel meets flesh –my blade bathes in blood --- but the horde keeps pouring in --- it is an immeasurable tide of humanity –or is it humanity –no certainly not – I see fire – the burning of the dreams , the lives, the splendour , the rich history , the honour of my land – its over – they have taken my land --- its gone – but is it truly my land – a strange sense of peace overtakes me – I feel nothing – for the first time in my life I see things as they are and as I see the great bird fall and burn – the great fall of my land comes to me crystal clear– destined to death--- that’s what all things are ---the end of all things must come – I realize --- and so my city is reduced to ruins – I see the times I played on its mud lined streets –I see myself getting commissioned in the army – I see myself meeting her – I see our marriage – I see the numerous battles I have fought – I see my child --- and I see no more – darkness it is --- my wounds finally give way --- my broken body asks for rest and I embark on the longest journey of them all --- death…………

No comments: